Forum Replies Created

Page 238 of 398
  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 16, 2022 at 5:39 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Quads and lats today after a shuffle round for this next 12-16wk block

    I’ve recovered a good amount of size to my legs (they’re still not close to where they need to be, but come back a lot from lockdown) so I am shifting to a different set up

    Today was

    Quad focussed 45 deg leg press
    Banded horizontal quad stance leg press
    Banded split stance leg press
    Leg ext

    Neutral Pulldown
    Underhand Pulldown

    Really good session. Two meals left for this evening and about to do my food prep

    Resting tomorrow, then push on Tuesday

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 16, 2022 at 5:35 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Calves, Delt top up, arms

    Really nice session today, numbers steadily creeping up week on week.

    Toe press

    Single leg standing calf

    Cable laterals

    Seated DB laterals

    High cable curl

    EZ curl

    Cable pushdown

    Swiss bar French press variation (moved away from smith now the gym is busy as availability will compromise session flow)

    Just prepping food for tomorrow’s rest day

    Two feeds left this evening.

    Fair enough Rich, i was just trying to find a way to engage more quadriceps on my sessions, since whenever i do squats, hell, even hack squats (comercial gym ones are really limited on ROM, knee flexion, we dont have good equipments here like cybex so on) so i found that low feet leg 45s, horizontal presses (single legged) and closer back leg bulgarian split squat are way more taxing on quads! AND i was thinking in alternating one session starting with uni leg exts before compounds and other sessions doing later ( for load purposes) anyway, thanks for the answer[/quote]
    I think that makes a lot of sense mate.

    If what you have available to you with regard squat variations is inferior to the press variations, go with the latter.

    There’s a broad “ideal”, but we each have to adapt to our own situation

    For me, I’m limited by discomfort, you are limited by quality of alternatives.

    Don’t do something just because it’s templated, if for you, it’s inferior.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 16, 2022 at 4:27 pm in reply to: Tricep pushdowns

    Hi mate

    Agree with Oscar here, I don’t think you should be forcing a position that causes irritation

    I would though be considering how you structure your tricep training and understanding how different movement variations can bias either the long, medial or lateral heads

    There are a number of exercises that will give a really good stimulation to all three heads, but you might not then want to bias all of your additional work towards one specific head – unless of course it’s lagging.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 15, 2022 at 7:38 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    My top up session today

    Two calf movement, two medial delt movements, two bicep and two tricep.

    Really nice session, everything felt good, no niggles getting in the way.

    One feed left before bed, but nothing else to be doing so a rest now for a few hours

    Hope everyone that wanted some got stashed up with the new tees!!

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 15, 2022 at 11:14 am in reply to: Strength gain on cut vs bulk?

    Hi Clark

    Without knowing more, it sounds to me as though you were fresh during your cut because you had arrived at a sensible training volume and strategy, which you were new to, and thus in a great position to be progressing week on week. Unless you were super lean, last few weeks of a contest style, you will likely have had enough body fat and enough nutrients coming in to allow that progress.

    You are still gaining at a really good rate, much faster than that is probably unrealistic, especially as the training volume and style is no longer new to you.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 14, 2022 at 9:22 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Pull day

    Low pulley upper back row
    Low pulley stirrup row
    Corner bar row
    barbell row
    DB row
    DB curl

    Decent session, nice to be on the DB row again, I’ll start prioritising them

    Little downtime now, then a feed, then sleep

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 14, 2022 at 9:12 pm in reply to: Rotational Split vs Fixed Training Week

    Hi mate

    Firstly, 4 to 5 days a week for training is perfect. Plenty of opportunity for stimulus, plenty of opportunity for rest.

    Whilst you cite having been a Powerlifter. What does that mean for your physique development?

    I like Clare’s suggestion, but it might be that you have a very strong physique base and now need to specialise more.

    I actually think if your programming is intelligent, there’s not too much of a drama rolling your sessions around fixed training days. If you do have the flexibility to shift where needed, that’s extra helpful

    Ultimately, provided you are recovering sufficiently from session to session, you can apply an amount of personal preference to your set up.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 13, 2022 at 9:50 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Push day today and again in the wrong gym so had to modify with more sets per movement

    Still, a good session and happy shoulders!

    Cable laterals
    X-over
    Flat machine press
    Machine shoulder press
    Cable extensions

    Simple but solid, got the job done

    On with food prep now for tomorrow and last feed now

    Pull day on the cards tomorrow, which is always a favourite

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 13, 2022 at 9:25 pm in reply to: Volume Escalations with beginners

    Hi mate

    I personally wouldn’t overcomplicate matters.

    Kiera is right in saying they will typically be really poor at maximising sets, but I think an easier solution to this is to programme an amount of machine work that relies on just applying effort rather than a significant technical component.

    Your noob trainers should make incredible progress, so as they stall, you can start to introduce new/more stimulus.

    You then can start to make the splits more specialised over time by breaking them down more (full body moves to upper/lower, upper/lower moves to PPL etc…)

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 12, 2022 at 9:46 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Rest today guys and just finished meal prep for tomorrow

    I’m about to get my last meal ready and then I’ll have an early night

    Just as a point of note, and I will do an Instagram post on this, but a few days ago I reported on my experience going to see Matt Milner the sports doc. He’s followed up with my report and a detailed voice interpretation and intervention list.

    Really impressed with him as a practitioner and his speed of response.

    Would definitely recommend

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 12, 2022 at 9:42 pm in reply to: Warming up

    Hi Jack

    A lot of people will like to do something to elevate heart rate ahead of resistance training. Clearly not a degree that will fatigue you for your session, but get you ready to move some weights

    Then, for me, it’s into your first exercise, and do the movement pattern with minimal load, slowly increasing probably across 5 sets before you are working

    From there, following movements shoukd require less warm up sets

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 11, 2022 at 10:06 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Leg day guys!

    I ended up having to train in a different gym due to work significantly over running today – it’s life, it happens.

    As a result I had to deviate from my usual session, but I got some good work in and didn’t get hurt, so that’s two wins!

    I’m on a rest day tomorrow, and then in for push on Thursday ??

    Just finished meal prep for tomorrow and now getting my final meal ready for tonight

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 11, 2022 at 10:03 pm in reply to: Is This Too Much Volume for Me? How to Gauge

    Hi mate

    I’m afraid I agree with Rhea.

    I know when you live training it’s tempting to be in the gym as often as possible, but it’s unlikely you will be in an optimal hypertrophy state

    The pivotal question is “What is more important?”

    If it’s enjoying the lifestyle, great, crack on mate, good for you ??

    If the outcome is the most important thing to you, I’d reconsider.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 10, 2022 at 8:11 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Rest day today.

    It’s been a busy one again, but a good day.

    Just getting food prepped ready for my leg session tomorrow

    One meal left this evening and then sleep as I’ve got a very early start to

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 10, 2022 at 8:09 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Just read your log from start to finish good read buddy keep it up. What’s your food intake and peds going in atm ? Im suprised this hasn’t been asked already lol

    Thanks mate

    Will be putting new diet up at the weekend, currently 5,500kcal

    Appreciate the kind words

Page 238 of 398