Forum Replies Created

Page 239 of 398
  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 10, 2022 at 8:03 pm in reply to: Let’s talk about slow eccentrics…

    Totally agree with Kuba and Anthony’s points.

    You’re just limiting load that can be shifted.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 9, 2022 at 7:26 pm in reply to: Two sets of chest?

    You should pay attention to all of your recovery variables mate, not rely on massage

    It’s either incredibly impressive, or highlighting that something isn’t right with your recovery that anything more than two sets can lead to an inhibitive amount of soreness 4 days later.

    As a start point, how are the big factors such as sleep? Nutrition (energy balance, protein total, protein timing, fats (total and type), carbohydrate total and timing, micronutrients)? Hydration? Rest days per week?

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 9, 2022 at 5:43 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Calves, Delt top up, arms

    Really nice session today, numbers steadily creeping up week on week.

    Toe press
    Single leg standing calf

    Cable laterals
    Seated DB laterals

    High cable curl
    EZ curl

    Cable pushdown
    Swiss bar French press variation (moved away from smith now the gym is busy as availability will compromise session flow)

    Just prepping food for tomorrow’s rest day

    Two feeds left this evening.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 9, 2022 at 5:38 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Legs today!

    I was properly able to go after it today. Granted, all of my pressing is in high rep ranges, but I’m ok with that for now

    Prone ham curl

    Banded horizontal leg press

    Split stance horizontal leg press

    45deg leg press

    Standing SL curl

    Really happy with it, feeling hit now, which is something I’ve just not properly had for a long time

    Also wore one of the new Sage Long Sleeve tees which will be dropping on 14th – incredibly good quality material ??

    Rich about the 45 and horizontal presses, what would you say its the difference? i mean, i know they are different in positioning however which one would you say have more stimulus to the quadriceps? i always found horizontal really good for the knee flexion aspect specially if split stance, whats your reasoning for having both? thanks in advance[/quote]
    Totally agree mate, my knees aren’t yet ready for a squat variation, so I have extra pressing in – not optimal, but sustainable for me is all mate.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 9, 2022 at 4:47 pm in reply to: Repspeed

    Whilst I’m sure @Jordan_peters is right, and under Milos’ tutorship everything is set up for this to add value, I don’t think it’s the best approach for most.

    It will significantly limit the load you can move, thus impacting the mechanical tension aspect of your stimulus.

    We want to achieve low bar speeds, but with maximal force application (this is what we see in the “stimulating reps” which forces the high threshold motor units to be recruited).

    I’m sure there is a longevity argument, as well as valuable application around managing joint pain, but you would still need to arrive at a point where you are putting maximal voluntary velocity through the bar (even though bar speed will be low as we near failure) to achieve maximal stimulation.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 9, 2022 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Two sets of chest?

    Hi Clark,

    My personal view is that 2 sets every 4 days would be sub optimal for the vast majority.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 8, 2022 at 7:54 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Legs today!

    I was properly able to go after it today. Granted, all of my pressing is in high rep ranges, but I’m ok with that for now

    Prone ham curl
    Banded horizontal leg press
    Split stance horizontal leg press
    45deg leg press
    Standing SL curl

    Really happy with it, feeling hit now, which is something I’ve just not properly had for a long time

    Also wore one of the new Sage Long Sleeve tees which will be dropping on 14th – incredibly good quality material ??

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 8, 2022 at 10:11 am in reply to: Deadlifts/block Pulls NOT PROGRESSING IN 8 WEEKS

    Hi mate

    My immediate thought is, respectfully, that was probably an unrealistic expectation to put 20lbs on the bar of a lift that had been stagnant at low reps for weeks and expect a jump.

    For me you need to either strip the movements out for variations, or switch the rep range up, drop some weight off the bar, and rebuild the lifts.

    Maybe literally back to 500 and 525 respectively and then progress very steadily, not try to put 20-30lbs a week on the lift week after week.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 7, 2022 at 9:05 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    This morning I had an appointment with Dr Matt Milner over at Muscleworks Orpington.

    I’ll get my results on Monday, but I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with his approach and the experience.

    I’ll feed back when I’ve had my report, but to this point, I’d highly recommend.

    It did result in 4 hours of travel, which perhaps unsurprisingly left me a little flat for what was not much more than an acceptable pull session

    Looking forward to a good sleep tonight and a big leg session tomorrow

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 7, 2022 at 10:54 am in reply to: Ppl upper/lower hybrid

    Hi mate

    I think the split works well, but I wouldn’t over complicate loading schemes initially

    I would set the sessions up all aligned with the same approach as your start point and then, as we all would, adapt as necessary

    Please do share your sessions for comment if that’s helpful

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 6, 2022 at 8:34 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Long travel down to Orpington today to see the doc for me health screening tomorrow morning

    Just arrived at my room. Shower, feed, bed.

    Pull session tomorrow when I’ve travelled back

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 6, 2022 at 8:25 pm in reply to: Training Split help

    Hi mate, I wouldn’t do all three on the bounce.

    If legs are the weak point, I’d put a rest day either side

    Push
    Pull
    Rest
    Legs
    Rest

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 5, 2022 at 9:03 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Rest day today. Long day at work, didn’t take long to fall back into the flow!

    Another rest day tomorrow as I travel down straight after work to see the sports doc

    Meals prepped, one feed left this evening

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 5, 2022 at 2:30 pm in reply to: Training Split help

    Hi mate

    I’m getting the impression you love being in the gym!

    Are legs a real strength for you?

    Are your arms requiring a dedicated day?

    Before you look at the content of each session, I think you need to answer the above questions and look at your split.

    For me 6 on the bounce isn’t a great idea for anyone training at any kind of volume and/or intensity.

    Rest is a critical part of your development, treat it like that!

    Have you considered pairing things back and looking at the really well utilised split?

    Push
    Pull
    Rest
    Legs
    Rest

    If you are in genuine need of an arm day

    Push
    Pull
    Rest
    Arms
    Legs
    Rest

    You don’t need to see all of your training falling into a 7 day window. Think about optimising your sessions.

    Hope that’s stimulated some thought to get things moving

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    January 5, 2022 at 2:23 pm in reply to: Back progress

    Great job mate! What split are you running at the moment?

Page 239 of 398