Forum Replies Created

Page 253 of 399
  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 18, 2021 at 9:10 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Push day. Sack of rubbish in all honesty.

    I’d written my shoulders off but I’m not putting up with it anymore, I’m going to get booked in with another sports doc and see what’s doing

    As an aside note, I’m sitting at 304 at the moment, not trying to do anything with my weight, but it’s a very comfortable and easy place for me to sit which bodes well

    Meal prep now and then last feed, then sleep

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 18, 2021 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Best way to structure the set

    A bit curious about this approach as this is new to me. So am I right in assuming you would have to have completed some form of 1rep max to know what your 5-8 rep range would be ? Or are we randomly guessing?

    Hi mate

    You should have a rough idea where you sit with this. Structure your warm up to prime you for the working set.

    Take your best estimate at the required load to fall within the rep range.

    If you fall short, lighten the load accordingly next time out, obviously the flip is true, if you overshoot the rep range, add accordingly next time.

    It should only take one experimental session to find out where your working numbers are

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 17, 2021 at 7:44 pm in reply to: Training before work but tired and sleepy

    Well for me you’ve answered your own quandary mate. You’ve said training in the evening isn’t a problem.

    I imagine your sessions aren’t worth losing your job/creating performance management conversations over

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 17, 2021 at 5:22 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Pull session today. I’m feeling very crap in a hinge or free row so think I need to sort a belt

    Chest supported T-bar upper back row

    Barbell row

    RDL

    Overhand pulldown

    Assisted pull-up

    SA Chest supported lat row

    About to crack on with meal prep for tomorrow, I’ve got two meals left for this evening as well which I’ll cook fresh

    Pushing tomorrow ??

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 17, 2021 at 5:19 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Arms and Calves today . Both are horrific for me so need all the attention they can get

    DC toe press

    Standing SL calf raise

    Cable Pushdown

    Dip machine

    DB French press

    Preacher machine curl

    EZ curl

    Alt DB curl

    Good session today, felt good and fresh after the two day break

    Going in for pull tomorrow, but two feeds yet to go today

    Sup Rich! What rep ranges do you use in your top sets and back off sets?

    Its the same for big and small groups like back and bic? [/quote]
    Hi mate

    Usually 6-8 & 12-15 or 10-12 & 15-18 for compound and isolation respectively

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 17, 2021 at 11:01 am in reply to: Isolation training

    Hi mate

    First question – have you not successfully progressed isolation movements?

    Typically I would set higher rep targets for isolation movements (with a few exceptions).

    Two useful tools

    1) Microloading – this is very important on isolation movements as you are typically dealing with lower loads, which means the percentage jump using your standard pores can make constant progression unsustainable

    2) Rep bands – I would often have more room for rep progression within the band on isolation movements.

    Hey, thanks for the reply first of all.

    I have progressed quite well on the isolation exercises, but when it comes to like a cable fly variation, the progress is often slower the weight jump is too big.

    Example, the increments on the machine go up by 2.5kg and this has caused me a lot of times to step into the next workout failing the rep range by 1 or 2 reps.

    Another example, the dumbbells. They go up by like 2kg increments, same problem.

    I thought about something like an extender so the jump is not as high. Do you, by chance, know any good brands?

    Thanks

    [/quote]
    You can buy your own set of micro plates mate. Some are magnetic so will attach to the dumbbells really easily, or you can loop 0.5 or 1kg plates over the pin on the cable stacks

    Hope that’s helpful mate

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 16, 2021 at 5:38 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Arms and Calves today . Both are horrific for me so need all the attention they can get

    DC toe press
    Standing SL calf raise

    Cable Pushdown
    Dip machine
    DB French press

    Preacher machine curl
    EZ curl
    Alt DB curl

    Good session today, felt good and fresh after the two day break

    Going in for pull tomorrow, but two feeds yet to go today

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 16, 2021 at 4:37 pm in reply to: Isolation training

    Hi mate

    First question – have you not successfully progressed isolation movements?

    Typically I would set higher rep targets for isolation movements (with a few exceptions).

    Two useful tools

    1) Microloading – this is very important on isolation movements as you are typically dealing with lower loads, which means the percentage jump using your standard pores can make constant progression unsustainable

    2) Rep bands – I would often have more room for rep progression within the band on isolation movements.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 15, 2021 at 7:36 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Another rest day here team and another really long day

    Looking forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow. I’ve got one more meal in a couple of hours and then I’m very looking forward to hitting the sack!

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 15, 2021 at 7:41 am in reply to: Best way to structure the set

    Agree with Kuba.

    They’re quite broad rep ranges you’ve got there

    Id prefer to go, for example, 5-8 and 12-15 so you have at least a 4rep distinction between the sets

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 14, 2021 at 8:40 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    Rest day today guys and very much feeling yesterday’s super long day

    I’m resting again tomorrow, then back in on Saturday

    Got my food prep done and got my last meal in the oven.

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 14, 2021 at 6:22 pm in reply to: EEA vs Protein Powder. Whats the difference?

    EAA’s are not a complete amino acid profile, whey protein is….

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 14, 2021 at 6:06 pm in reply to: Large wrist cuffs

    Hi mate

    Have you considered buying an ankle cuff? These would typically be larger than wrist cuffs

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 13, 2021 at 10:16 pm in reply to: The Rebuild

    That was a late one, but my PRE-Pare got me through

    Really good leg session, very much enjoyed it and starting to get a little load through the thighs now on the pressing

    Adductor
    Abductor

    Standing Leg Curl
    Seated Leg Curl

    45deg Leg Press
    Pivot Leg Press
    Split Stance Leg Press

    GHR

    That’s me done for two days now, back in on Saturday for my next session.

    Need to crack on with food prep, sink my last meal, and get myself to bed

  • Rich Ellis

    Member
    October 13, 2021 at 7:05 am in reply to: Lagging back

    Hi Adam,

    How many work sets do you perform for each of those movements?

    You’ve got four movements to train your back and three to train your biceps – that could potentially be disproportionate when your back is lagging. I’m not by any means a proponent of “more is better”, but if you’re on two sets per movement, this is definitely on the low side and something I’d expect to see from someone brutally strong, with a. Great ability to hit the target muscles.

    A lot of people struggle with back, it’s much easier to “move weight” on than on push movements, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with your body to get the bar from A to B, so ensuring the target muscles are doing the work will be important

    Just my immediate thoughts mate

Page 253 of 399